Moving to Australia

Are you thinking about relocating from Japan? Are you looking into a new country but you are just not sure where you would like to live yet? Why not move somewhere where they mostly speak the English language? If you are a fan of sunshine, then more than 200 days in the sun per year are just an added bonus! If you like the sound of that, then look no further than Australia! In 2016, Melbourne was ranked the most liveable city on the planet. That is a position he has held for 6 consecutive years. This is why more and more people every year are thinking about moving to Australia. In this article, you can find out how to become one of them.

Getting a visa for moving to Australia

The first thing to do when Moving to Australia is to get your travel paperwork in order.
The first thing to do when Moving to Australia is to get your travel paperwork in order.

The first thing you will need when moving to Australia is a visa. If you didn’t know, this is a document that guarantees you will be able to live in the country for a certain amount of time. Depending on your stay, you will need a different visa. And depending on why you are going to Australia, there are also various types of visas to chose from. Since you are probably planning on moving to Australia long term, your best bet is to go for the working visa.

There are multiple ways to get a work visa. These are the three main types of the working visas:

  • skilled visa – the best visa for moving to Australia permanently,
  • temporary skilled visa – a visa you can reapply for after four years and
  • holiday working visa – a year-long visa that has some restrictions.

Skilled visa

Getting a “Skilled” visa is the most common path people take when moving to Australia. You can start by checking the skilled occupation list for the positions and skills that Australia needs. From there, you can submit an expression of interest to the Australian Home affairs government. After that, the Australian government may allow you to move there permanently. Keep in mind that the government may require you to live in a certain area of the country while on the program, as well.

Temporary skilled visa

Temporary skilled visa (457 visa) is even easier to get – mostly because you do less work than the skilled visa. The 457 visa allows your company to sponsor you from Japan. It can last for a period of up to four years. After the four years are done, your company can request to continue the 457 for a period of four more years.

In this case, your company will do the most paperwork, while you can focus on other logistics.

Holiday working visa

If you can’t find your skills and qualifications or a company to sponsor you, you can try the holiday working visa. This one allows you to stay in Australia for up to a year, but you can only work with the same employer for six months. because of this, getting hired might prove difficult for you. Also, if you are thinking about career promotions, this is not the visa you should go for.

One of the most important things to keep in mind about obtaining a visa is that it is a lengthy process. Due to this, you need to play is ahead for a long time. It can take up to 12 months to get a visa. The average waiting period, however, is 5 months, and even with the necessary skillset, you will still probably have to wait at least 3 months.

The logistics of moving to Australia

You need to consider various moving options.
You need to consider various moving options.

After you have figured out your visa, you will need to find a professional mover, like Kokusai Express Japan. They will help you with the whole process because you need to ship your possessions. Whether you will be shipping the whole house or just a few boxes, international freight forwarding is stressful and a lot of hard work.

There are two standard ways two ship things – ‘sole use container‘ or ‘share a container‘ options. The ‘sole use’ means that the container will arrive at your home, and your things will be packed in it. Afterwards, it will be sealed and delivered to your doorstep in Australia.

The ‘share a container’ option means that your things will probably be taken to a Japan warehouse, measured and packed together with other things. There are advantages and disadvantages to both of these options, so you need to talk to your mover about each. The costs of both may vary significantly too.

Other factors to think about when moving to Australia

There are other factors to consider when moving to Australia, but two of the most common things people forget about is their finance and healthcare. Take a quick look at these two as well so you can weight your options and prepare in advance.

The finance

Don’t forget about your finance when moving to Australia.
Don’t forget about your finance when moving to Australia.

People often forget about regulating their finance when moving to Australia. With all of the moving related stress, finance somehow often end up pushed in the back of the mind. But they are equally important part of everyone’s life, and you do not want to find yourself in Australia unable to access your funds. This is why you need to check whether your bank is an international one. Visit their office and ask if they have an office in Australia too.

If your bank doesn’t work in Australia, you will need to find a new bank and transfer your funds. You need to be careful when doing this because there might be some taxes and exchange rates to fight with. A great idea is to find a foreign currency broker who will help you get the best deal for yourself.

The healthcare

Finally, if you are not a full Australian citizen, you will most likely not have access to some public services. These include social security, education, and healthcare. Keep this in mind while planning your move, and think about these months in advance. Being aware of the fact can help you work out a solution. Talk to your moving agency about some ideas. You can get more information about this on Human services website, too.

©2024 Kokusai Express - All Rights Are Reserved · Powered by Movers Development