Japan cargo import and export facts to be aware of
If you’re a newbie in the world of import and export, there are probably lots of things you want to learn. When you’re moving to Japan, for example, and you want to ship cargo into the country, it would be useful to know some of the basics about cargo import in Japan. Whenever it comes to shipping cargo, it’s best to do some research first and learn how things function. Different countries can have different rules about import and export, so you should check them out. Here are some Japan cargo import and export facts you should be aware of when moving.
What you need to do to import or export cargo in Japan
When you decide to import or export cargo, you need to prepare and learn some of the rules that come with that. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and you don’t know where to find all the information, this can be your starting point. Whether we’re talking about heavy lift cargo or a different kind, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Find out about any special government regulations if you want to be able to import or export anything.
- You’ll also need to take care of customs clearance and make sure your cargo can enter or leave the country. You need to pass your cargo through customs to be able to ship it and then get the paperwork confirming that the customs duties are paid.
- Another important thing when it comes to Japan cargo import and export facts is documentation. There’s paperwork about the shipment that you have to deal with. Start on time as there’s a lot to do.
- Get insurance to make sure your cargo is safe and secure. Most shipping companies will offer you insurance. However, you should still check what you’re insured for and how big the compensation is.
- You also need to figure out the type of transportation you want for your cargo forwarding.
- Find a warehouse solution if you need to store your cargo.
The needed paperwork
To help you out a bit more with your cargo import/export, we’ll tell you what types of documentation you’ll need.
- Shipping documentation
- Financial documentation
- Commercial documents which provide the value of your shipment
- The documents that the government requires
When it comes to forwarding cargo, there are several types of transportation you can choose from. You can decide which means of transportation fits your needs best and you can even combine several different ones.
- Shipping cargo by air – if you need to import or export something quickly, air transportation is your best choice. When it comes to perishable goods or simply things that need to reach their destination quickly, there’s no better option. If you choose this option, your cargo is bound to arrive on time.
- Shipping cargo by sea – in case you’re not in a rush, a good Japan cargo import and export fact is that you can ship goods by sea. This is the more eco-friendly option and it’s cheaper than air freight. You can also plan your shipment in advance, long before the cargo needs to be delivered. That way you won’t have to ship cargo by air, you’ll save money and the shipment will arrive on time.
- Combining air and sea forwarding – in some cases, even combining different types of transportation is possible. Maybe that’s the perfect choice for you?
Prohibited items for Japan cargo import and export
Something else you need to pay attention to is which items are banned for import and export in Japan. There are prohibited items when it comes to shipping cargo to any country. Here are some of the things you can’t ship to or from Japan:
- Drugs and psychotropic substances
- Handgun parts and bullets
- Weapons (pistols, rifles, machine guns, explosives, chemicals for making chemical weapons)
- Opium smoking tools
- Books and paintings that violate public health and morals
- Child pornography
- Illegally raised funds
Find a good shipping company to help you with cargo import/export
When you’re importing or exporting cargo in Japan, it’s a good idea to find a good company to help you. Working with the right people will make this process easier and less stressful. What you need to pay attention to is if the company has all the licenses. The last thing you need is hiring people who are out to scam you or who don’t know what they’re doing.
So, find a good company that can handle the shipment of your cargo. Do your research, read the reviews and ask around. We can tell you that we at Kokusai Express Japan are fully equipped to handle any kind of shipment. You have nothing to worry about when you’re working about, we’ll take care of everything and on time.
Do you have all the Japan cargo import and export facts now?
We’ve tried to provide you with the most important things you need to know when shipping cargo to or from Japan. However, when it comes to Japan cargo import and export facts, there’s always something more to find out. We’ve given you the basics, and this article is a good start for your research. You can investigate further if you need any additional help and information. The important thing is that you know all the regulations and that you don’t skip any essential steps. Good luck!