Climate controlled storage units: all you need to know
Just like finding the perfect moving company, finding the perfect storage unit is a process that requires some thinking. You shouldn’t hire the first company you stumble upon and you shouldn’t get the first storage unit you see. There are many things you should consider before making the right decision. You want your belongings to stay safe and damage-free while they’re in storage, right? Well, if that’s the case, you should be looking for climate controlled storage units. The wrong conditions inside storage can be detrimental to your items. So, here is everything you need to know about climate controlled storage units. After you read this, you’ll be able to make the right decision.
What are climate controlled storage units?
Some of your things are likely to get ruin in the wrong weather conditions. Storage units that are located in humid places can really be detrimental to your prized possessions if they’re not climate controlled. Humidity can ruin a lot of things and you want to avoid that. Well, storage units that are climate controlled are here to save the day. You can find a moving company that offers heavy lift cargo services, but also storage services. Then, you’re ready to move to Japan.
The fact that these storage units are climate controlled means that the temperature and humidity levels inside of them are being kept at a constant level. It’s quite simple really. However, if you stumble upon storage units that are ”temperature controlled”, there’s a risk that they don’t regulate humidity. So, think twice before making your choice. There’s no standard for climate controlled storage, so you have to ask the facility manager about the specifics. Usually, the storage is kept between 55 and 80 degrees and the humidity is around 55%.
Which things require climate controlled space?
Not everything you’re putting in storage is going to need climate controlled space. Some things are more durable and less fragile. But you can never be too careful. Just like you would spend some time on choosing sea freight forwarders, you should do the same for storage. Here are the things that require you to carefully choose the storage unit.
- In case you’re storing cosmetics and toiletries, pay attention and get climate controlled storage.
- Your books, documents and paperwork also require extra care and special conditions. You don’t want them to get ruined. The papers can get moldy in hot temperatures and humidity.
- If you’re storing musical instruments, you want to make sure that they will be kept in appropriate climate. They are expensive and you don’t want the humidity to ruin them. Wood can crack and warp in the wrong climate.
- All your collectibles such as art, wine and antiques need to be kept in a storage that’s climate controlled. Don’t risk ruining these valuables by keeping them in the wrong kind of storage.
- Furniture and things made of leather, metal, wood, fabric and wicker also need special care.
- As you may have guessed, humidity can damage your electronic devices.
- Keep bedding and mattresses in storage with climate control.
Now that you know what kind of things require special conditions in storage, you’re ready to find the perfect storage unit. The best thing about getting good storage space is that you won’t have to worry about the safety of your items.
When is it important to get climate controlled storage unit?
Sometimes, putting your items in a storage unit is easier than other times. If the storage unit is in a hot and humid climate, then it is important that the space is climate controlled. Humidity and temperature control in storage units is essential when it comes to extreme colds, as well. So, when you live in a place where temperatures are extreme, you’ll want to make sure storage is climate controlled.
How long will you be using the storage unit?
In case you’ll be storing your things for a few weeks or months, finding storage that’s climate controlled isn’t that necessary. Your things will stay intact during that short time. However, if you’re looking for long-term storage, you probably want to make sure that the temperature and humidity levels in storage are maintained. Don’t leave your sensitive belongings in storage for a year without protecting them.
What else should you pay attention to when getting a storage unit?
Climate control inside a storage unit isn’t the only thing that matters. There are a few more things you should pay attention to before getting a storage unit for your belongings.
- Whatever type of storage unit you get, you want to make sure that you do your part and pack your things properly. Wrap everything nicely and make sure to protect your things from any possible damages. Even if storage is climate controlled, it might get flooded. So, make sure your things are prepared for that.
- Find a storage unit that has a good security system.
- Get a storage unit of the right size.
- Go and see the storage unit before deciding to get it.
- Don’t keep valuable things on the ground – you’ll regret that if there’s a flood!
Getting the perfect storage unit
It might be difficult to find, but there is such a thing as the perfect storage unit. Remember that it’s always better to be safe than sorry, so you can never go wrong with getting a climate controlled storage unit. That way, you’ll be sure you’re things are safe. Why risk it? So, go do some research and look at storage units in your local area. You can surely find something that fulfills your needs and you can start planning the rest of your relocation.