If you are moving to Japan or you are shipping household goods to Japan. you need to know more about forbidden customs clearance items. There is a list of prohibited goods in Japan like in any other country.
Japanese customs have many rules for customs clearance and prohibited and restricted items. Anyone who wants to import goods must declare to the Director-General of Customs. Also, need to obtain an import permit. You can get it after necessary goods check.
So, if you want to import good, you need to learn more about customs regulations in Japan. That’s way you need to hire help in Kokusai Express Japan if you want to move and ship goods to Japan.
Documents you need for customs clearance
- Exports Documents
Export Documents includes buying order from the buyer, sales invoice, and packing list.
Also: shipping bill, bill of lading or air waybill. Including Certificate of Origin and any other specific documents.
- Imports Documents
You need for import documents: Purchase order from the buyer, sales invoice of supplier and bill of entry. Also the bill of lading or air waybill, packing list and Certificate of Origin.
Also, the buyer can request for specific documents. Don’t forget to bring them. Import also require documents from a financial institution. And documents with country regulation for import.
Forbidden customs clearance items in Japan
Prohibited articles from entry by law in Japan:
- Heroin, cocaine, MDMA, opium, cannabis, stimulants, psychotropic substances, and other narcotic drugs
- Firearms and ammunition
- Precursor materials for chemical weapons;
- Imitation coins, paper money.
- Bank notes, or securities, and forged credit cards.
- Books, drawings, carvings
- And any other article which may harm public safety or morals. Like pornography and obscene materials
- Child pornography;
- Articles that infringe intellectual property rights.
Japan is strict in prohibiting. When it comes to narcotics, firearms, and ammunition and explosives. Also for materials for chemical weapons. For counterfeit goods or imitation coins and obscene materials. Or goods that violate property rights.
Japan also has restrictions on selling and using certain products. Such as medical products, farming products, and chemicals.
For this goods, Japanese Customs examine the product for import before shipment. Of course, you will need licenses from relevant legal bodies.
So, Japan restricts entry of:
- Supply of medicines for more than one month. This refers to toxicants, dangerous or prescription drugs;
- More than two months’ supply of medicines. It refers to non-prescription drugs or quasi-drugs;
- And more than 24 units of similar cosmetic products.
Remember that soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, hair dye and other toiletries Customs can consider for quasi-drugs or cosmetics.
Restricted Articles in Japan
Beside forbidden customs clearance items. Read the list of restricted goods by Japan laws and regulations. So, when you send items, you must know the list of customs restricted and forbidden items.
Import of restricted goods
For the list of restricted items in Japan, you need permits and approval. Customs Law requires permits for restricted items. Also, a government agency checks the goods.
Major restricted items
- Plants and animals
You must show them to the plant or animal quarantine officer. Because of Customs inspection. Inspectors will exam your pets. Pets can not enter into Japan without Customs permit. Also, prepare your pet’s documents. And the proof of the necessary vaccination.
– Many restrictions on the import of medicine and cosmetics.
– No one can bring hunting guns, air guns, swords, etc. into Japan without a possession permits.
Forbidden customs clearance items and restricted items in the United States
Moving from Japan to the USA can be easy. You need to know the list of prohibited and restricted in the United States. Forbidden customs clearance items are items prohibited by the law of the USA.
Examples of prohibited items in the USA
Dangerous toys, bush meat, or illegal substances like absinthe and Rohypnol.
For restricted items, you need to have special licenses or permits. A federal agency requires permits before the goods enter the United States.
Restricted items in the USA include firearms, some fruits and vegetables, animal products, and some animals. Read the long list of restricted items in the USA:
- Absinthe (Alcohol)
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Ceramic Tableware
- Cuban-made Products
- Cultural Artifacts and Cultural Property
- Defense Articles or Items with Military Applications
- Dog and Cat Fur
- Fish and Wildlife
- Prepared Food Products
- Prior Notice for Food Importation
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Game and Hunting Trophies
- Haitian Animal Hide Drums
- Merchandise from Embargoed Countries
- Photographic Film
- Plants and Seeds
- Textiles and Clothing
- Trademark and Copyrighted Articles
Importing or Bringing Medication into Japan for Personal Use
Which medication can you import to Japan? This a decision of Japanese Government. Read which medication are forbidden customs clearance items. If you don’t follow Japanese Law you may be arrested and detained. So, be careful when you enter in Japan with medication.
- You cannot bring into Japan some medicines. Some of them you can use in the United States. Including some inhalers. And also some allergy and sinus medications.
- Products that contain stimulants
According to Japanese law, if you need a supply of medication for a month or two. You can buy it in Japan duty-free.
Heroin, cocaine, MDMA, opium, cannabis, and other stimulant drugs are prohibited in Japan. Even if the medication is legally using outside of Japan.
Keep in mind: Japanese customs officials or police can detain travelers importing forbidden customs clearance items.
For enter into Japan, you need an import certificate in advance. In case you need to take your medication for more than one month supply. So you should show it with your prescription medicines at the Customs.
For more information about forbidden medication in Japan and restricted ones. Check the information with the Ministry of Health.